Taran joined LUC in 2002, before which she had gained three years’ experience working in local planning authorities in London and New Zealand. With an earth science background, Taran has an excellent understanding and keen interest in the natural environment and its processes and how they influence spatial planning, as well as how habitats, species and environmental processes may be affected by different types of development.
She works predominantly in strategic planning, and undertakes evidence-based studies, plan preparation and strategic site assessments, as well as leading Strategic Environmental Assessments, Sustainability Appraisals and Habitats Regulations Assessments for Development Plans.
She has a wealth of experience in SA and HRA of all levels and types of development plan documents, including minerals and waste plans, for local planning authorities and the former regional planning bodies, and has also represented a number of local authority clients at EiPs as their SA/HRA expert.
Outside of work: Taran likes gardening in her allotment, dance classes and watching Scandi-drama series.
- Waste and minerals planning
- Strategic site assessments
- Strategic environmental assessment/sustainability appraisal
- Habitats regulations assessment
- Planning research and advice
- Planning training
- Consultation and facilitation
- Associate Royal Town Planning Institute, Affiliate Chartered Institute of Waste Management
- BSc (Earth Sciences, Ecology and Biology) University of Waikato, New Zealand
- MSc (Hons) (Soil Science, Environmental Assessment), University of Waikato, New Zealand